1. Avoid certain holiday decorations that can be harmful if ingested. Ribbons and tinsel are the two most potentially dangerous decorations if accidentally eaten by your pet. Potpourri should also be kept out of reach since they often contain oils and detergents that can damage the mouth, eyes, and skin.
2. Watch out for plants that cause sickness. Poinsettias have a sap that can cause vomitting and will irritate an animal's mouth and stomach. Holly berries and leaves can also cause vomiting, belly pain, depression, and diarrhea. Mistletoe is extremely toxic if ingested; take your beloved pet to a vet immediately if you suspect they have eated this plant. Pine tree needles can be toxic and cause irritation of the mouth. Lily is deadly to cats. Christmas tree pot additives such as aspirin or sugar can also be dangerous if pets drink the water.
3. Refrain from feeding your dog people foods. Chocolate can contain ingredients that are lethal to dogs and cats. Macadamia nuts can cause seizures in animals, but nuts in general are dangerous due to their high fat content because they can cause an upset stomach, pancreatitis and obstruct the throat and intestinal tract. Turkey and turkey skin can also cause pancreatitis. Yeast dough can cause painful gas and dangerous bloating. Sugar-free candy and gum contain xyliton which has been linked to liver failure in dogs. In addition, do not feed your pets onions, grapes, raisins, fatty foods, fried foods, avocados and bones. Any time of year, probiotics can help keep Fido's digestive tract in balance.
4. Unplug and take out the trash. Before leaving your pet home alone, be sure to unplug any lighted decorations. Electric light cords and candles can pose a risk of fire. Take out the garbage so bored pets don't eat any of it.
5. Know signs of pet distress. If your beloved fur children have sudden changes in behavior, depression, pain, vomiting, and diarrhea, call your veterinarian.